A History of WECW in Photos
(click on image to download or enlarge)
Year Book Page from 1951
(click to download or enlarge)
Radio at Elmira College dates back into the 1930's. Initially, in 1948, the Speech and Hearing department began to play with radio equipment. The first traces of recorded audio from EC come from this class, where the women recorded a weekly show for local station WELM.
Recording Radio in Cowles
Here, students use the recording equipment to record the aforementioned show for WELM in Elmira. This took place in the basement of Cowles Hall.
A new building creates WECW-FM
A large space for WECW
President Murray at WECW
WECW Program Schedule in 1968
A Well-Oiled Machine
Serving the campus
The Late 70's
It brought some new equipment to WECW, relaxing the original console that was over two decades old. Around this time, the station broadcast on 95.5 FM.
The 80's & 90's
A few decades after the Campus center was built, WECW had a new facility built for it. The studio moved to its new CC space, and so did it's antenna in the '90s. In addition to that, the station moved from 95.5 FM to it's current day 107.7. The move came because the FM station was interfering with a local cable TV provider. The logo pictured is from 1981, bottom left is from 1989, and on the right is from 1993.
In the New Millennium
The early 2000's brought CDs and computers into the mix at WECW.
WECW's Campus Center Studio
WECW was located on the first floor of the Campus Center for many decades. In 2015, the station was moved to the basement of the building to make room for a new Multicultural Center that took the studio space.